Hundreds of leaders from the Northeast’s heating oil industry have unanimously passed a resolution towards achieving net-zero carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions for heating oil by 2050.
This ambitious goal was established at the Northeast Industry Summit last September.
The resolution calls for:
- a 15% reduction in CO2 emissions by 2023
- a 40% reduction by 2030
- net zero carbon emissions by 2050
What Net-zero Carbon Emissions Mean
Net-zero carbon emissions means that an energy source has no carbon footprint—the ultimate goal for heating oil. As higher blends of ultra-low sulfur Bioheat® fuel becomes more widespread, your fuel will move even to becoming carbon-neutral. This and other innovations within the industry will help to keep heating oil as a leader in energy evolution.
Here in New Jersey, homeowners have already been benefiting. Many gallons of oil area already Bioheat®, and the blends of Bioheat will continue to increase each and every year.
Reduced Sulfur Content Makes Oil Heat Cleaner And Greener
The quality of your heating oil has a big impact on how efficiently your system runs and how long your equipment lasts. That’s why your New Jersey heating oil company delivers the cleanest fuel possible. It’s better for the environment and better for your heating system.
An important development in recent years has been delivering heating oil with ultra-low sulfur content. Here are a few facts about this reformulated fuel.
- Since 2016, NJ has mandated the use of clean-burning ultra-low sulfur heating oil, which means it contains a sulfur content of just 15 parts-per-million. Less sulfur means much better system operation.
- Ultra-Low Sulfur Heating Oil (ULSHO) has 99% less sulfur in it than standard heating oil.
- The switch to ULSHO will result in a reduction in emissions of over 70%, compared with the already low emissions produced by traditional heating oil.
- A buildup of sulfur in the heating system can lead to system maintenance issues. The drastic reduction of sulfur in heating oil means that there will be far fewer system issues, which will lead to lower maintenance costs.
- Because there is virtually no sulfur in the heating system thanks to ultra-low sulfur fuel, your oil system can burn the fuel more efficiently, leading to lower heating bills.
- While regular heating oil has been very clean for decades, the ultra-low sulfur heating oil is even cleaner, producing near-zero particulate emissions.
- ULSHO requires no modifications to your existing system.
Interested in learning more about the evolution of oil heat? Read 10 facts about today’s oil heat.