With winter’s chill fading into memory—despite the frost warnings in parts of New Jersey at the end of April—don’t forget about taking care of the oil heat home heating system that kept you and your home warm for many months.
Spring is an ideal time to schedule your annual oil heat home heating system maintenance.
You need to do an annual system maintenance (also called a cleaning or tune-up) once a year. That regular maintenance helps your oil heat home heating system last longer, and in many cases, it’s needed to maintain your system’s warranty.
When your oil heat home heating system technician comes, among the things he or she will do are thoroughly inspect and clean all the working parts, make sure the thermostat is working correctly and accurately, check all safety components, inspect all oil connections for damage or leaks, change the air filter (if applicable) and inspect drafts, flues and vents for leaks.
Why take care of annual oil heat system maintenance now?
There are several reasons why scheduling your oil heat home heating system maintenance in the spring makes sense.
- Scheduling is quick and easy. In the fall and winter, your local New Jersey oil heat service provider is often jammed with requests for oil deliveries and oil heat system emergency repairs. So it may take them a while to get to your annual maintenance. In the spring, their schedule is much more open so you can make the appointment for a time that works best for you.
- Repairs don’t have to be rushed. One of the reasons annual oil heat system maintenance is so important is that your technician can discover small problems before they turn into expensive repairs down the road. With a spring appointment, your technician will have a better opportunity to take care of any necessary repairs or adjustments, or if necessary, be able to more easily schedule a return visit to complete repairs.
- There’s time for replacement. If it’s recommended that you replace your oil heat home heating system, you will have the time to work with your local oil heat service provider to find the most efficient system for your home and have it installed before the busy fall service rush.
Look beyond your heating system
Spring is also a great time to do improvements around your home that will help your oil heat home heating system run even more efficiently.
- Install ceiling fans. These work for you all year-round. In the summer, the circulating air helps keep you cool. But these fans can also help you save money in the winter. Just reverse the direction of the blades and this will push down warm air trapped near the ceiling. You’ll use less oil while still staying warm and toasty.
- Add insulation. Determine whether your home has adequate insulation. If you don’t, adding insulation can help you save hundreds of dollars on your oil heat home heating costs. This will also help you save on your air conditioning costs.
There’s no need to wait! Contact your local New Jersey oil heat service provider and schedule your annual oil heat system maintenance today!