Knowing more about today’s oil heat in New Jersey will make you feel good about how you heat your home—now and well into the future. That’s why it’s important for you to know that with every passing year, heating oil continues its evolvement into a newer, cleaner and more efficient fuel.
In recent years, the oil heat industry has undergone a transformation that is significantly improving oilheat’s efficiency and cleanliness, thanks to the combination of ultra-low-sulfur heating oil (ULSHO) and the advent of Bioheat®.
Key points about clean-burning heating oil
- It’s been about three years since all oil heat companies in the Garden State have been exclusively delivering heating oil with an ultra-low sulfur content.
- ULSHO has 99% less sulfur in it than standard heating oil.
- The changeover to ULSHO has resulted in a reduction in emissions of over 70%, compared with the emissions produced by traditional heating fuel.
- Since ULSHO creates fewer deposits on heat exchangers, oil heat customers benefit from better heating efficiency and easier maintenance,
- ULSHO opens the door for the introduction of super-efficient heating systems, which are already being used with great results in other countries that use ULSHO.
- A buildup of sulfur in the heating system can lead to system maintenance issues. The drastic reduction of sulfur means that there will be far fewer system issues, which will lead to lower maintenance costs for New Jersey oil heat consumers.
- Because there is virtually no sulfur in the heating system thanks to ULSHO, your oil heating system can burn the fuel more efficiently, leading to lower heating bills.
- While regular heating oil has been very clean for decades, ULSHO is even cleaner, producing near-zero particulate emissions.
- Many gallons of heating oil in New Jersey also include Bioheat®, a blend of ULSHO and renewable materials like vegetable oils. Because Bioheat® integrates seamlessly with all heating oil systems, no changes to your heating system are necessary!
- The National Oilheat Research Alliance (NORA) continues to research and develop oil heating equipment and bio-blends that’s cleaner and more efficient than before. The overall goal is to transition to even higher levels of Bioheat® fuel that can be matched to highly efficient, groundbreaking equipment.
What’s the future like for Oil Heat?
The quality of heating oil will get even better in the years ahead! Over the next decade, oil-heated homes could be using even cleaner burning bio-blends.
The oil heat industry is excited by these new opportunities because they will positively influence the long-term future of the industry and the environment while uplifting the oil heat experience for millions of customers.